Full Stack JS/Python Developer
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Middle or Senior
Role: Full Stack Developer
Industry: Public Health Technology
Start: As soon as possible
Company size: 8 people
Timezone: Berlin +/- 2 hours
Salary: $50k - $74k USD per year
Technologies and Experience | The applicant must have experience with the following technologies:
- Python Flask and Jinja2
- CSS/HTML/Web development
It is also essential that the applicant can demonstrate leveraging these technologies against:
- Git version-controlled software development best practises
- Delivery of professional web-based user interfaces
- Architecting and designing full-stack features from scratch
Skills in the following technologies will be a plus:
- Specific Python libraries: CKAN, Superset, Pandas
- SQL (PostgreSQL)
- Cloud infrastructure (AWS)
- DHIS2 API
- Open Data Kit
Any of the following experience is also desirable:
- Technical work within the health sector, especially public health
- Extract Transform Load (ETL) frameworks and best practises
- Cloud based DevOps
- Python based data visualisation and analysis
- Management of large heterogeneous datasets
- Software project management
Duties and Responsibilities | As a lead technical consultant for Fjelltopp you will:
- Lead the development of new system features that solve meaningful problems.
- Take particular responsibility for the delivery and quality control of user experience.
- Design, develop, test, deploy and maintain high-quality software.
- Review the code written by others on the team, mentoring them where appropriate.
- Further establish and refine internal best practices and coding conventions.
- Communicate with project stakeholders concerning delivery and review of our work.
- Find creative ways to use technology to harmonize the world's public health data.
- Contribute to company development, sales and growth where possible.
The applicant must demonstrate that they are:
- Motivated by the meaningful problems we solve for public health and international development.
- Dependable and able to proactively deliver the agreed work remotely.
- Confident, honest and constructive in their communication with teammates and stakeholders.
- Curious to independently learn new technologies and pursue their own career development.
- Experienced in leveraging relevant technologies against frontend design and implementation, full-stack web development and coding best practises.
- Competitive salary: $210 - $310 USD per day ($50k - $74k USD per year) depending on your experience
- Bi-annual company retreats across Europe
- Your own personal training and development budget
- Flexible working hours
- It’s a full remote position, meaning you can work from a co-working space, your home or anywhere you like
- Occasional opportunity for travel (previous travel has taken our consultants to Cote D’Ivoire, South Africa, Jordan, Madagascar, USA, Ukraine and more)
The Team | At present Fjelltopp consists of three full time technical staff, four part time technical staff and a part time administrator. In a small team such as ours everything you do has real impact. There is the opportunity to be involved with all aspects of the software development life cycle and the business’ growth. In our team:
- Honesty is held paramount.
- Everyone’s opinion matters, irrespective of age, race, religion, or gender.
- Constructive feedback is shared frequently and often.
- We all work for each other, whether manager or junior developer.
- Wellbeing comes before profit.
Company Background | Fjelltopp is a social enterprise founded in February 2018 by a team of UNICEF and WHO consultants working on an open source Python based public health surveillance framework for humanitarian crises. We have since expanded our work to a variety of public health data management and analysis problems. It is our mission to harmonise the world's public health data. We are a team of data scientists, engineers and public health specialists working remotely from sites across Europe. Our clients are predominantly UN organisations, including WHO, UNICEF and UNAIDS offices around the globe.
Working for Fjelltopp means: working on solutions that make a tangible difference where it most matters; no commute and flexible working hours; becoming part of a great team; opportunities to pursue what you are most interested in; potential to grow as the company grows. Find out more at our website or github.
Employment Type | This work is offered internationally as a contract for a freelancer in a B2B format, with a one month probationary period. As such you will be required to arrange your own taxes, pension, equipment and workspace. If you are UK based there is the option to be transitioned onto an employment contract with PAYE.
Any questions? Just drop us an email... Contact Us